Albenga and sorroundings
Albenga, traditonal town with an important past, is in the Riviera Ligure di Ponente, in the Albenga plain, next to the estuary of the river Centa.
It’s the main centre of the Albenga district, which ranges from Ceriale to Andora and their inlands.
It includes the Gallinara or Gallinaria natural reserve, where San Martino di Tours allegedly lived.
The city of Albenga has one of the most evocative and well-preserved old towns in Liguria, mostly enclosed by walls and where many towers , palaces and other medieval architectural masterpieces spire:
- The Saint Michele Arcangelo Cathedral , rebuilt at the beginning of the 12th century on an early Christian church of the 5th or 6th century and remade in its modern aspect in the second half of the 13th century, close to the baptistery with decagonal plan.
- The Early-christian baptistery, dating to the 5th century, it’s the most ancient building in Liguria Structurally intact, in addition to being one of the best-preserved baptisteries in Italy, thanks to the restoration of the structure and of the dome.
- In the heart of the Old Town we find the ensemble caracterised by the three towers: The Municipal Tower, the Tower di Malsemenza and the Bell tower of the Cathedral.
- The Roman naval museum, built in the ’50, in the Palazzo Peloso Cepolla where over a thousand roman amphorae, retrieved from a ship that sank in Albenga’s waters in the 1st century B.C are collected. It was the first roman vessel retrieved and explored at the bottom of the Ligurian sea. The remains of the ship, 40 m. long and 12 m. wide are still between Albenga and the Gallinara island at a depth of 40 metres.
- Outside the Old Town of Albenga, on the southern slopes of Mount San Martino, there are the amphitheatre, dating to the 2/3rd century, the Necropolis and the funereal monuments, the San Calocero church and the beautiful Via Iulia Augusta, to fuse sport, nature and culture. This walk is one of the most striking in the Riviera due to its history and its spectacular nature. It starts right from the Umémà B&B and treading along the the hill, across the remains and wonderful views, treading the footsteps of the Romans we arrive at Cape Santa Croce where the little church with the same name is found, close to the centre of Alassio
A few kilometres from Albenga, along the coast, there are the well-known seaside resorts of Alassio, with its famous Budello and the beautiful beaches, Laigueglia, charming seaside village, Loano, Pietra Ligure and Finale Ligure, with their beautiful Old Towns, their renowned beaches and numerous sporting activities.
The inland of Albenga offer the opportunity of excursions and treks in the beautiful towns and valleys.
and for some fun:
Close to Albenga, the Essaouira disco, the Le Caravelle Water Park in Ceriale.
A lot of events organized by local and neighbouring associations.